Apple turns a blind-eye to apps' data-creeping despite privacy claims

“It’s the middle of the night. Do you know who your iPhone is talking to?” - Washington Post piece on apps that data-creep in the middle of the night.

I made that up…“data-creep” just feels right because damn, it’s creepy! Like, “Yelp data-creeped me all night long and didn’t buy me dinner first!” Or, “I thought me and Door-Dash were just friends but then I found out it was data-creeping me several times a day when it thought I wasn’t looking. And I’m like, ‘Dude, I’m just not that into you. I thought we had a good thing going but then you had to go and make it weird. Guess I’m getting my own takeout food now.’”

2 Likes

I’d very much like to read the piece, but it’s behind a pay wall, is it possible to copy/paste it to this pad so we can all see it? Thanks so much! =)

https://pad.riseup.net/p/dDV6hrseerJob8Y45nbb

2 Likes

Yes, I’m so sorry! @_TJ done – let me know if you have any problems with it. Thanks for the heads-up. I didn’t even think of the paywall.

0 Likes

Thanks so much! I appreciate it, it sounded interesting and I just want to make sure everyone got a chance to read it! =) =) =)

1 Like

Thanks for posting this, Steph! I agree with the author. I would like to see more accountability.

1 Like

Perfect, I really appreciate you going out of your way to post this. =)

1 Like

You have to love that we literally pay for them to steal data from us. :unamused: My mother’s phone settings were all out of whack a few months back. She was sending all sorts of data from apps & even from Safari constantly & sucking up huge amounts of her data plan like she never had previously. I had to go through & change a lot of her permissions & settings. Now I want to change even more settings for her after the data detox!

1 Like