Not to be too niche up in here, but when I mentioned working in an #archive within an academic library, a few folx lit up, so I thought I’d start of thread of issues we might discuss.
Any other archivists in different LFP/LFI cohorts? Woot! Woot?
Perhaps there’s the basis for some sort of learning module for archivists because we talk about it, but mostly nah.
A few topics/ideas related to archives I’d love to explore with y’all:
- the presence of PPI (“Personally Identifying Information”) in archival records and boxes
- the power/abuse/misuse of digitization (“free all the documents from their analog bodies!”) when putting materials on line that may have PPI
- PPI and oral history and the potential for violating privacy of narrators
- ID requirements and access to archives (e.g. investigate what it means for trans patrons to meet ID requirements)
- surveillance in reading rooms, uses of policing