CC.1: Final project idea space

This thread is for anyone considering doing a final project to share their ideas, seek project partners, or just think out loud.

Remember that the final project is optional, and there is no deadline, but if you want to share about your project (even if it’s unfinished) during our final class, there will be space for that.

Some final projects that people have worked on in the past:

• A library privacy policy
  • An analysis of vendor privacy issues
  • A privacy class
  • A privacy program that isn’t a class
  • A display about privacy
  • A flyer or poster or zine about a privacy concept
  • A staff training
  • Something focused on privacy work outside of the library walls, like a letter to a legislator
  • A privacy audit plan for a library
  • A comprehensive privacy plan for a library

Here’s some of those final projects: Main Page/Final projects - Library Freedom Wiki Page

I’m interested in doing something related to public computers (at public libraries). We’ve got a chance to reimage ours later this year with IT’s help, so can think through things like what software, default programs, languages, privacy features, etc. are installed, as well as accessibility features or design choices for simple use. Would love to come up with a checklist or something like that for public libraries to use for this. If anyone is interested in collaborating, let me know!

1 Like

I’m thinking of doing a zine (open to other formats, if anyone wants to collab) about creating and/or critically examining privacy policies when providing services to incarcerated patrons.

Also, it is so cool to see all of the rad projects that other LFP folks have done!!! wow.

2 Likes

I’m thinking of creating some curriculum for a workshop on algorithmic literacy. My institution already offers a great privacy workshop and some other information literacy workshops, so I think this would build off those lessons. I’m happy to collaborate with someone on this, or if anyone just has an ideas or general feedback that would also be amazing!

Did you have a specific angle in mind? I can think of lots of resources but don’t want to infodump all over you :stuck_out_tongue:

Like algorithms 101, algorithms and bias, machine learning, etc…? what is the scope and audience you are imagining?

I hope this week’s lecture will be helpful for you! Also the checklists that I linked in the readings would be a good jumping off point too.

Love this idea.

Here’s a bunch of resources from previous LFI cohorts:

1 Like

Hi Emily,

My apologies for the delayed reply.

I work at an academic library, so the audience will probably be undergraduates, grad students, and maybe some faculty or staff. I work in the humanities library, so it might be good to be less technical (but having some of the technical info in my back pocket is always helpful).

Ideally, I would like to provide quick overview of what algorithms are and then go into algorithms and bias. My idea here is get the students to think more critically about how they find information, why they find certain kinds of information, what’s missing and what’s left out, and what information they are giving in return.

As of today, I just got promoted to instruction lead for my department, so my hope is to revamp our info lit curriculum to include more of these questions, so students are not just evaluating the resources they are finding but the process through which they are finding them.

1 Like

I didn’t get a chance to reply this morning, but I feel like we covered a lot of what I would have recommended and then some with the resources that came up in class today! and congrats on being instruction lead! I think info lit narrowly defined can fall short some ways when it doesn’t also involve bigger picture information and advocacy so it sounds like you’re on the right track re: considering process/context. (I think info lit sometimes puts too much responsibility on individuals for evaluating things without considering that it’s not exactly random that so much white supremacist garbage, for example, just happens to float to the top on certain platforms)

Also I think one important thing to talk about re: bias is that it isn’t the only problem with some of this tech, and that in some ways the bias thing can become a bit of a red herring for bigger picture problems. i.e., while it’s true that proctoring software doesn’t work as well for Black students as for white students, the best case scenario is not more racially sensitive test proctoring software… we are heading very quickly down that road! A “debiased” piece of evil harmful tech is still evil harmful tech :grimacing:
So this sort of thing and being wary of ethics-washing in general. bc now it is very popular to pay a little bit of lip service to ethics and maybe wring your hands a little but not necessarily to do much else – see Google firing everyone who had questions there! (Timnit Gebru, Michelle Mitchell)

3 Likes

My final project / evaluation goal will be to write a privacy policy. My angle might be a little different from other public libraries since I mostly deal with vendors and other librarians.

1 Like

Hi again everyone! Since there was some interest in last week’s class wanted to make a post here too about the final project I’m working on with @ajones !

We’re planning on a sort of survey of lendable tech for libraries, so:

• looking at what’s been done already in this area
  • making a summary chart of different options for various combinations of devices & software
  • hopefully, from this work, being able to derive some general guidelines/guiding questions for people (whether they’re deciding what to buy or making the best of the tech they are already stuck with!)

currently looking at:
|iPad|iOS|
|Chromebook|Chrome|
|Laptop|Windows|
|Laptop|Mac|
|Laptop|Linux|
|Laptop|Tails|
|Tablet|Android|

I wanted to re-iterate that if there are devices/software/etc you want us to include on the chart please mention them here or get in touch on the list!

Tagging @ayoola @wendyh and @cindyp since you specifically mentioned interest in the project in the chat during class!

2 Likes

Love this project and this looks like a great list. My only suggestion is about the Tails laptop. I’m not sure what your planned setup for this is, but just FYI in case you didn’t know, Tails should not be installed directly on any device. Instead, you should make a Tails drive https://tails.boum.org/) that you then use with a laptop that has some other operating system installed as its primary OS.

Thanks! I’ve revised our chart to specify that it’s a laptop to be used with a Tails drive, we can put in a note to make it clear as well.
(I know it’s a bit out there for most library systems so it’s more so people know what’s out there/for Overton-window shifting purposes!)

1 Like

yeah for sure! and people are usually pretty into Tails, like once they know about it, so I think including it here is great

Hi again everyone! I know this spot is quiet these days but in case anyone is still around I could use your input!
I’ve been gathering and reviewing various reports and experiments in lendable tech in libraries of all kinds, and while Allison does in fact work in a public library that lends devices, I don’t, and either way input from more of you would be helpful! Mostly wondering what your burning questions are in this area. e.g.:

When/if the opportunity arises, what devices should we buy for this purpose?
What is the least terrible way to use these devices that we already have?
What are our options for software to manage a particular task?
What are our options for handling a particular problem?
etc.

But also maybe I am totally off-base and there are lots of other things you’re wondering about that haven’t even occurred to me – any insight you have is much appreciated! Thanks!

hey @emily, you should send this request out on the mailing list (with a little more info on what your project is) because people check that way more often!

OK, thank you for the suggestion!