CC.2: Final project chat

For those of you thinking about a final project, here’s a space for discussing ideas and finding other folks to work with. Here’s also a link to a lot of final projects folks have worked on in the past: Main Page/Final projects - Library Freedom Wiki Page

I’m going to start adding replies here with resources for folks who’ve already talked to me about their final project ideas. Posting here for group benefit, to help generate ideas, and to find possible collaborative opportunities!

Okay, starting with @windwiggler and her idea to do a workshop on algorithmic literacy. I think this is an excellent idea and one that is in high demand. There are a lot of internet resources and books out there about algorithms (I’ve linked some below), but something really simple and straightforward is really needed. If I were teaching a workshop about this, I’d probably divide it into the following categories:

• Basics of what an algorithm is, and related definitions
  • What algorithms mean for AI
  • Examples of algorithms in use
  • Algorithmic bias and examples, algorithmic ideology and examples
  • Ways to opt out of or confuse personalization algorithms
  • Bigger systemic demands
  • More resources for going further

Actually, I think this would make a great passive resource as well, like a handout or poster (maybe something similar to this LFP poster on facial recognition: FacialRecognition_Poster_PassivePgm.pdf - Google Drive)

Here are some algorithmic literacy resources I’ve collected:

Books:

• Algorithms of Oppression by Safiya Noble
  • The Black Box Society by Frank Pasquale
  • Automating Inequality by Virginia Eubanks
  • Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O’Neil
  • If … then: Algorithmic Power and Politics by Taina Bucher
  • Technically wrong: sexist apps, biased algorithms, and other threats of toxic tech by Sara Wachter-Boettcher
  • Artificial unintelligence : how computers misunderstand the world by Meredith Broussard

Videos from past LFP trainings:

Articles:

Websites:

We will also be getting into AI and algorithms in week 9.

Okay my next reply will be resources for another person’s final project. Soon!

1 Like

Next up…@adixon50 is working on an idea for a privacy-themed escape room, possibly using anti-doxxing strategies. We’ll be going over anti-doxxing in great detail in week 6, but here’s some stuff that might help you get started:

I’m not sure how exactly you’d set up the Escape Room…imagining that the person doing the escaping is playing the role of the doxxer, it seems to only make sense for them to be trying to dox themselves (otherwise it’s getting into murky ethical territory, unless you set up a full simulation for them to dox a fake person). Maybe you could have something like…every time they find something about themselves that they want to remove, they can follow the opt-out links and that will advance them to the next step? I’m not entirely sure. But I do really like the idea of gamifying this and I’ll keep thinking about other ideas!

1 Like

On to @sgoff’s idea to focus on privacy as an equity issue. This is an almost boundless topic, there’s so much out there about privacy and surveillance the intersections of class, race, gender, ability, age, and so on. I think the direction you go in will depend on what you have in mind for audience and format, and the goals you have.

There are some really excellent books out there that might help you form your vision a little more (not that you should read them all, but maybe find some excerpts or seek out articles by these authors).

The Poverty of Privacy Rights by Khiara Bridges
Dark Matters: on the surveillance of Blackness by Simone Browne
Automating Inequality by Virginia Eubanks
Queer Privacy by Sarah Jamie Lewis
Algorithms of Oppression by Safiya Noble

I’d also look into the work of these organizations/people for inspiration: Media Justice, Detroit Community Technology Project, Secure Justice, the Black Movement Law Project, and Dr. Chris Gilliard (@hypervisible, hypervisible.net).

Finally, here are some old LFP videos featuring some of the folks from these organizations talking about various issues that relate to privacy and equity:

Let me know what direction(s) you’re thinking of going in with this topic, and I can help refine some resources for you!

Next up…@aglenn had the idea to focus on issues related to cyber sexual abuse. I think next week’s topic on doxxing and intimate partner privacy and the like will be very helpful to you, as well as all the resources I shared above with @adixon50, but just to add some more from the recent forum for librarians combatting cyber sexual abuse:

The reading list for participants in this forum was:

• Algorithms of Oppression
  • Hate Crimes in Cyberspace
  • Misogynoir Transformed
  • Knowledge Justice

Here’s the forum schedule of talks: Schedule | National Forum on the Prevention of Cyber Sexual Abuse

While I don’t think anything was recorded, you can at least find names and organizational info of the various researchers and practitioners who are working in this space.

Thanks for the suggestions, Alison!

I’ve been reading a bit about OSINT and listening to Bazzell’s podcast way too much. I wanted to set it up with a fake “target” to build in puzzle type interest. It’s creepy no matter how you frame it; but, I thought seeing how easy it is to get private info would make more of an impression on users. Also, I don’t know abt other states but here in GA, if you have someone’s first/ last name and birthdate, the state voter’s page will open and give you their HOME address. (THAT freaks me out completely)

1 Like

Yes that is unfortunately very common across multiple states. In some places, you don’t even need the birthdate – just first and last name, sometimes zip code. I think these would make for really great elements in your escape room…either as part of the actual clues/answers, or some kind of “did you know?” prompts that could get revealed after they solve each clue.

1 Like

OOOOHH! I really like the “did you know” prompts idea! That’s a great share!!

1 Like

Nice! Is there a particular guideline for the final project? I’m thinking of a zine format…

No format guidelines, and you can definitely do a zine! Here are some other LFP zines:

Hi Alison,

Great, awesome! Yay, nice to see some “zine-y” zines. :slight_smile:

I always like a zine to “feel like” a zine (i.e. on paper), but maybe I’ll upload to Flipstr or something so one has to turn the pages at least.

1 Like

Thank you for all this! I’ll go through what I can and give it all some thought.

I did have a thought during today’s discussion, especially because of what Sam and Tess shared. Has anyone put together a collection of patron stories from library folks/LFP members about ways they’ve seen technology, privacy, and equity intersect? It could be a good resource for people getting ready to push for privacy changes. Local, personal stories would no doubt have more impact, but it might help others frame their own interactions. We’ve talked about the importance of stories a lot, so I was thinking about how to turn that into a more concrete resource.

Wow I love this idea Sarah, and I wonder if you’d actually be up for making -this- into your final project? You could poll and collect stories from LFP folks, and maybe other privacy-minded people, and put them all in one place as a resource for these stories. Maybe you could make up some prompts to help, like different threat models or for different situations. 10ish stories would be amazing, and then maybe we could put them on the wiki for people to use and later add more as they wish.

I’d be good with making this my final project! There’s a lot to consider with privacy and equity, and this is a more concrete resource – what I wanted to go for. I’ll brainstorm some approaches/threat models to cover!

Cool, lemme know when you’ve got some ideas, I’m happy to help with the execution!

Hey! Is anyone thought about creating some kind of mini-toolkit for teachers / professors? University System of Georgia has changed tenure status and gotten a lot of negative press. Basically, it makes it much easier to let instructors go without due process.

Now some of the departments that get more push back in the South are concerned that they will be targeted. e.g. Gender Studies, LGBTQ Studies, African-American Studies…etc. I thought maybe a starter kit…starting process to make themselves less vulnerable would be an idea teachers may be open to.

@adixon50, we are working on a toolkit for EXACTLY this threat model right now (@emily, @mari2020, @Melfena, @Eliza, @ceobooklover, and I are all working on it together). It’s gonna have three parts: a set of preventative practices, an framework/set of recommendations for institutions to follow to keep their people safer, and a set of emergency protocols for people experiencing doxxing and harassment right now. We are interviewing people who’ve experienced this and using their stories to inform the toolkit.

It would be amazing to get you involved in this project, if you’re up for it!

1 Like

I would love to help with that project, Alison!

We’re still sorting out when our next meeting will be (usually Mondays at 7 pacific/ 10am eastern but I’m not sure with Thanksgiving if that will change) but we can let you know for sure!

1 Like

I think my final project will be a workshop on digital privacy and security specifically aimed at folks experiencing or transitioning from homelessness - I’m going to be teaching a series of basics classes at an encampment in a couple weeks (that we’re hoping to turn into a regular thing) and have adapted our existing privacy and security class with that in mind. Any ideas/edits would be greatly appreciated: Digital Privacy and Security Lesson Plan - CVC - Google Docs

3 Likes