Facial recognition action ideas and planning

I’m officially back from ALA and I’m glad it’s only a few times a year. Here is some information on getting resolutions submitted to ALA, this might help especially since the Somerville ordinance is already written.

2 Likes

I hope that this week’s lecture can help us get those written!

1 Like

I just saw this fun and exciting post about biometric tools that override facial recognition: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/27/the-pentagon-has-a-device-that.html

As we’re developing language for facial recognition bans, we should keep an eye on keeping our language broad so it covers these other kinds of surveillance technology as they emerge.

1 Like

Definitely. The ACLU has prioritized this in their legislation. Let’s ask Varoon about this tomorrow on our call, because I know the AI Now Institute is also interested in broadly applicable legislation.

Hi all! I am talking over email with Ed Garcia, director of the Cranston Public Library in RI and member of the ALA executive board. He is pumped about getting ALA to come out against facial recognition. I’ve worked with Ed a bunch before and he’s definitely a strong privacy ally. Will keep you all posted about our conversation.

2 Likes

I spoke with a Union rep from the BPL-PSA eBoard yesterday and they were very receptive to the idea of bringing up a resolution to endorse/support this same resolution. The rep indicated that this was likely something that a lot of BPL-PSA Union members would be receptive to. So I am going to be speaking to Union rank-and-file in mid-July about writing and then putting an endorsement up for a vote! I haven’t got a date as yet but I’m really looking forward to having this conversation with my co-workers.
You can read the text of these proposed bills at H.1538 and S.1358.

3 Likes

Amazing work Maty!!! Let us know how we can help support you.

1 Like

Hi folks, since there’s so much momentum around getting state orgs to follow MLA in banning facial recognition, I thought I’d ask the previous LFI cohort if they were interested in working on this in their states too! And a bunch of them are definitely interested, so I’m tagging them (and their states) here. Cohort one members, please introduce yourselves below! And scroll up for all the planning info we’ve worked out so far.

@kellymce - Oregon
@sjbrown - Maryland
@josh - Florida
@librarianbryan - Tennessee
@tesskwilson - Pennsylvania

1 Like

Hi everyone-

I’m away from the Internet for a good part of this week, so I apologize for not popping up quite as much.

Happy to see the other steps that have been taken.

New England update:

If we end up having a coordinated online discussion, NELA will participate (but I cannot endorse) – I’ve asked the Chair and wasn’t told no :slight_smile:; MLA will participate; I have 1 VT Library that will join and I am seeing if they can participate as VT Library association too; I have my CT NELA PR contact working with CT Library Association on potential participation. I am still waiting to hear back from our New Hampshire, RI and Maine friends.

1 Like

Thanks for the update Andrea!

Anyone else working on getting other regional library orgs to participate/promote the chat?

Hi all! As Alison mentioned, I’m Josh and I’m down here representing Florida. I just read through this thread…wow! Y’all are killing it, so many amazing ideas. I recently became the vice chair of FLA’s Intellectual Freedom committee and will be working with our Chair soon to schedule our first group meeting of the new year. I’m going to mention these ideas and the recent declaration from MLA, see if we can get something going here. I’ll keep everyone posted on that.

@alison and @apuglisi FLA is not traditionally very active on Twitter, but I really love this chat idea. I’ll let the Chair know about this and see if I can get the executive board to agree to at least promote if not outright participate. Is there a time/date when y’all are aiming to do this chat?

3 Likes

I will reach out to ALLA (Alabama Library Association) to see if anyone is interested. We have some members who are particularly interested in privacy.

2 Likes

I’m Bryan!

I am a systems librarian at Nashville Public Library and a member of Tennessee Library Association’s Intellectual Freedom Committee. I can lean on TLA but in the past we have been reluctant to take policy positions on any issue that does not directly relate to libraries. Regardless, I am willing to fight the good fight. I know when I gave a “privacy matters, duh”-type talk at conference this year the parts about facial recognition got folks excited. I will keep you posted.

3 Likes

The chair of the ALLA Intellectual Freedom Committee, Melanie Carden, has agreed to participate in the Twitter chat if she is available at that time and would generally be interested in helping us spread the word.

1 Like

I just spoke with the ACLU of New Jersey and we’re going to start trying to put something together beyond just a statement from NJLA. I doubt they’ll get on board for the twitter thing (I’ll be there though), but I think this angle, after the success of MLA will be another tactic we can take.

2 Likes

Do we have a date/time in mind (tried to find it in the thread)?

I’m definitely down to help if I can. As far as I can tell, Texas isn’t doing anything regarding legislation or TLA policies, not even on their radar according to their websites. I’m going to reach out to my TLA president today about this issue.

1 Like

@apuglisi now that you’re back, wanna pick a date?

and then as another next step, we can create a doc with a list of everyone who is talking to their respective library orgs about this and whether they’re committed to doing this chat

1 Like

Hi Josh! Awesome!! It’s okay if the association isn’t regularly active on Twitter so much as if it will be :wink: during the chat! It’s a great way to connect an emerging topic with your association’s membership & I think that if State and/or Regional associations from across the US participate, it will have a stronger impact. Thanks for seeing if they will be a part!

Hi @alison @Steph @_TJ @Ajb @librarianbryan @josh @Maty_C @CarolynGlauda @Julia

Date for the chat? We haven’t decided yet – how is August looking for everyone? The only week in August that will not work for me is August 11 - August 18. What is everyone else thinking? Part of this is to raise awareness: so the timing of the actual event is also important. I’m on the East Coast but I can stay up late! :slight_smile: – are we looking to have an evening conversation? Afternoon?

Alison asked that we get a list going about participants: I’ve started a RiseUp Pad, is everyone able to add to it so that way it helps organize this?: https://pad.riseup.net/p/CBup6EnOhqXQmU_VaHMQ-keep

On a related note, I shared that I was going to be talking about Comms work with Emily Wagner (Assistant Director Comms/Knowledge Management from ALA-DC’s Public Policy & Advocacy Office) and I would work in some Library Freedom questions about how to get ALA to adopt a position on this topic. The advice shared can be summed up as: Frame the issue and what you want us to do with it; how you want the conversation to be advanced; look at past resolutions & ALA’s track record on these topics [http://www.ala.org/aboutala/selection-resolutions-adopted-ala-council] that you can cite/point to; and that traditionally, ALA has treated Privacy as a human right and that is a very compelling argument for them. She also said that sharing examples of how this is affecting/impacting communities and/or being able to point to librar* and/or like organizations for additional support is key. As our conversation needed to end (she had another call scheduled to take), she said that we can talk more again – that the door is open, so I will follow up once we are more organized on our end. I did thank her for her time via email and asked her about the possibility of ALA Library participating in this Twitter eEvent and I’ll keep everyone apprised.

Also – Hootsuite is the better of tools for our purposes – it will allow us to schedule 30 tweets using the free account versus Buffer which has 10 tweets. I also think an event followed by sustained internet activity is key, so LFI likely will want to consider robo twitter’ing if we are going to build and maintain a coalition.

2 Likes

@ktrinh-sy @wmarvell I’m tagging you both because I couldn’t tag you in the response above (10 user name tag per post)