For those who utilize Lynda as a vendor

Lynda’s Privacy Problem

Would you be willing to not renew your library contract with Lynda following these changes?

0 Likes

If LinkedIn already owned Lynda, why are we pretending that data wasn’t already being shared? I’m all for discontinuing the use of the service but the canary in the coalmine has been dead a while.

This, though, is a fantastic example of why library administration actually need to read the ToS of what they sign, I’m willing to bet an alarmingly small number do.

1 Like

Yeah, when LinkedIn bought Lynda they def were taking all the info they could get on what library card number had what digital behavior. The difference is that now they are requiring an email address and first and last name to go with library card number and linking that to the patron’s LinkedIn account. I guess the main difference is the change from semi-anonymous to not anonymous at all.

1 Like

I heard from a few librarians that they protested this to their admins and got ignored. Anyone else know about anything like that?

0 Likes

I am about to protest about it to my Director, and I can almost guarantee that I will get ignored sooo I guess I’ll know about it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I wonder if we might try to organize some thoughts about why this is bad, and try to publicize it in some way? I guarantee that Library Journal would print it.

1 Like

That’s cool! I would def be into it.

1 Like

oh. oh. Can it be titled “Lynda, Listen?” Re: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKLmyxA0LBk

2 Likes

Another librarian just sent this out to all librarians in our system and admin, so I’ll try to keep track of the responses.

0 Likes

I’m trying to think of the best angle for a story on this. The OIF piece is great at detailing the problem, but I think there’s another angle – that librarians ARE pushing back against this and getting nowhere.

So I think we need to do some information gathering. Have folks already talked to their Lynda reps about these privacy issues? What happened? Can we ask our networks if they’ve done this?

0 Likes

I reached out to our Lynda rep (Julie Palmer) asking if she read the OIF piece and asked her how much patrons will be required to share in order to get a Lynda library account. Julie’s response:

We were just on a phone call with the Blog’s author, answering her questions and addressing her concerns.

The Patrons have a choice to share all that they want or very little. The login flow for the LinkedIn Learning for Library is not the same login flow that a Corporate organizations staff would go through. We ask them for the same information that lyndaLibrary asked: First and last name and email address. The Library Card number is encrypted in the back-end system and we do not store the PIN numbers.

In the Library solution we are giving Patrons the option to build out their profile or create an obscure one as you see in my profile example below. They could put as much or as little information as they feel comfortable with.

Below is my PointDrive link with more information on the upgrade that was just released. We are trying to get to all of our Library Clients as fast as we can and update them on the upcoming upgrade.

LinkedIn Learning for Library

0 Likes

FYI - I got this response from my library system’s admin:

We are aware of impending changes to accessing Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning. We do not know yet for certain exactly how the login process will be with LinkedIn. It is currently in beta testing with some libraries. Although HCL is not a beta tester we are giving our feedback. We expect a LinkedIn account will be needed but are hopeful that if a LinkedIn account is required that the LinkedIn account will have full privacy settings by default. We have been told that nothing should change for any library until after mid-July.

0 Likes