Here's all the cities where Amazon Ring has partnered with local police to share surveillance footage

https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2019/08/28/doorbell-camera-firm-ring-has-partnered-with-police-forces-extending-surveillance-reach

My colleagues neighbor has a Ring and she uses it to track my colleagues coming and going so she knows when she’s home or not. Getting that power in the hands of law enforcement os terrifying.

My apt got broken into Monday night (while I was sleeping) and I don’t want this. Whoever did it walked a piece of furniture from the front porch around the house, planted it in front of a kitchen window, sliced the screen and climbed in. They only got my roommate’s wallet (which was found on a lawn later by some nice ladies).
The proliferation of these devices and services moves us incrementally closer to having corporations such as Amazon managing and providing ‘public services’ over their platforms, moving us further and further away from transparent, democratic community control. For $99 plus monthly monitoring fee. This is ‘innovation’?

ugh, Maty, I’m so sorry that your house got broken into. glad that nothing major got stolen.

1 Like

I’m really sorry that happened to you Maty! We had a similar break-in in our neighborhood a few weeks ago - and the house had a Ring - and the footage caught nothing helpful. Our neighborhood is a little bit on edge now, the idea I’m trying to get across is that there’s a difference between one person invading your privacy in a very specific and terrifying way vs. letting Amazon invade your privacy daily, and charging you for it.

1 Like

Thanks y’all for the well wishes. Yeah, If I’d had a Ring doorbell it may have gotten whoever the burglar was grabbing the chair off the porch, but it would also catch me: I use my front porch a TON all year round. It would catch my neighbors on their porches (dense neighborhood) and the kids going to school across the street. And also the dude that shows up on my porch sometimes when it rains; Tim the Street Cat who shows up at dusk, who I am not fond of and I named after my older brother; and the folks who park their car across the street for a seasonal tryst, the flavor ice pick up truck guy with his bullhorn. I’m just listing these things because there’s so much that goes on in our neighborhoods that’s just normal life and through the lens of these products everything is a threat. I can’t see living like that. To your point Carolyn, I agree and think we lose sight of the larger threats to our rights in the context of these products- it’s not a choice between thieves and rights but of the character of our neighborhoods and our relationship to others. We can deal with crime but the infrastructure of invasive corporate surveillance is so diffuse sometimes it’s hard to point out to people where and how its presence warps the sensitivity to our surroundings and other people.

4 Likes

so well said Maty!!!

1 Like

Just got this in the mail - would I be surprised to find these companies using city Open Data as cold call lists? Nah.

1 Like

Ah, sorry that happened to you! I know the feeling – it’s invasive and scary. Then I think about how much MORE invasive and scary it would be to have a device tracking my every move.

One thing that struck me from Janus’ talk was how crime is actually down, but we have this perception of being unsafe because of the paranoia created by Ring and other devices.