Information literacy programming ideas (continuing the convo from last week's lecture)

Hi all,

During April Glaser’s lecture on Friday, I mentioned a program that I have offered with helping to visualize how the internet and (advertising) media works together as part of a larger conversation about algorithms, “Fake News” and corporate power. I know that I’ve struggled with coming up with different ways to explore these ideas beyond a lecture (!), so I am opening up this thread for us to share ideas that we’ve tried, would like to try and/or haven’t fully developed all of the pieces yet and are seeking ideas/feedback to help make it happen (‘in process’ but maybe you’re stuck and you need someone else to talk to it about so that way you can put on that extra spin?!)

In the chat, Howard asked that I move this conversation to the discussion board. I copy/pasted my remarks from the chat which is posted below :point_down:

“A program/workshop idea that I have lead to help people visualize how loaded the internet is with marketing media & advertising is to have people rip apart magazines – to pull out pages and/or advertisements in the magazine to help them visualize how media is packaged and is prioritized. Teens/adults always remark about how little “actual content” is even present, and is a great way to start talking about how information is curated. I’ve used this method as a fun, hands-on springboard into engaging conversations about information literacy, and follow it with a workshop on instructing/showing how to spot fake news.”

1 Like

I don’t have any ideas right now but I would love to brainstorm this in person in NYC if people are into that. We could take some time on the schedule just to work through ideas people are having that they want feedback on!

1 Like

Maybe download Privacy Badger and show them how many advert trackers are actually on each page. I go from DuckDuckGo to something like TMZ or the NYT. Same thing with something like AdBlocker or the like.

People are always shocked at how many things are tracking them.

1 Like