institutional privacy audits & Provost meeting! Help!

Hi all!

I just got word that my department chair and I have been put on the agenda to meet with the Provost’s council THIS FRIDAY to talk about our privacy concerns around edtech, vendor agreements, and how info can be disseminated to faculty and students about making decisions with privacy in mind. It is kind of a big deal, as this body as the power to create a group charged with overseeing this work as a campus-wide effort.

Our goal is to suggest to the provost council that we need an official institutional statement regarding our pledge to protect the data of students, faculty, and staff (different from security) and guidelines for faculty when choosing free edtech to use in their classrooms. (which we can then leverage in the library when negotiating with library vendors). Lastly, we’d like to inquire about/suggest privacy audits for the library and the university at large.

Does anyone here have experience talking to high level decision makers about this sort of thing?? Any tips? Any talking points you think I should remember? Or just encouragement lol there will be so many people in suits there haha

Thanks so much!

2 Likes

I am sitting next to Symphony right now and we are going to talk about her presentation, so just flagging this to let you all know that we are discussing it!

1 Like

you’re going to do so well symphony!!

maybe a point to bring up: student immigration status data. let’s say that the school you work at has the immigration status information of each student, and that info. is attached to the same unique identifier as their student ID - which is used to access library resources. is there a nefarious flow of data that could happen between vendors and student information? how can we prevent such a thing from happening? this is worthy of concern for many reasons, but you can point to amazon’s contracts with ICE - bring up the general concern that companies are profiting from (fascist & racist) deportations/ general surveillance of immigrant communities.

harms of edtech: might be powerful to bring up a specific harm inflicted on students from “free” edtech. then go more specific to the demo. of students in your school/ or how edtech could effect marginalized students on campus

regardless- you’re going to do really really well and we’re all rooting for ya

1 Like