LFI.2: Planning thread for ALA social things

Post here if you’re planning to be at ALA and you want to share info about events or talks.

I’m planning to attend and I’m giving two talks – one panel that TJ is also on, and one talk with Talya Cooper about our new book for ALA Editions called Anonymity. I have to dig in my email for the time and location of these talks but I’ll edit this post when I have them.

I am looking around for somewhere that we can all meet for happy hour or something like that.

I don’t know what other events I’m going to yet, but unrelated to LFP, I am also planning a protest of CIA recruitment at ALA. :innocent:

2 Likes

I’m probably going to be stuck in the exhibit hall except for when I have committee meetings or panels. That being said, when those are done, I’m usually free most nights except for a few award panels.
But I was thinking, maybe go out for some team building stuff ahead of NYC (escape rooms and axe throwing are my jam).

Beyond that I’m trying to fill my evenings.

0 Likes

I am speaking on Sunday at the New Members Round Table Panel on behalf of PLA regarding mentoring opportunities available through PLA. On Saturday night, I am attending the Freedom to Read Foundation to represent ALSC as the ALSC President cannot attend, and I am on the ALSC Intellectual Freedom Committee. On Sunday night, I am attending a vendor event my boss asked me to attend. He rarely asks for something specific like this and is supportive, so I feel like I should go.

If there is a Happy Hour, and I am not otherwise obligated, I will definitely be there.

0 Likes

Awesome, I am looking for things we can meet up at on Sunday night. Last time we crashed a different happy hour and it was perfect. Can you share what vendor event this is on Sunday? Vendor parties tend to be good to crash. :smile:

0 Likes

There is always the EveryLibrary event to crash, I know it’s, unfortunately, ticketed, but it’s usually a bangin’ good time.

0 Likes

I hope to be able to meet as many of those of you attending ALA Annual as possible. As Annual is in DC this year and I live in the area, I am taking a laid back approach as to not completely burn myself out. I will be attending a few sessions on Saturday and Sunday. I will also be working the IMLS booth on the exhibit floor for a few hours on Saturday. I’m certainly happy to meet up in the evenings for dinner or drinks. Please feel free to keep me in the loop on any group meetups. Thanks.

2 Likes

This is going to be my first ALA! I don’t have my schedule planned yet, so I’m looking to this thread for ideas.

Is anyone else a morning person? I’m usually toast by 9pm, (10pm if I’m on a conference high) but was thinking about a run or something around 5 or 6am if I can find a buddy. I’ll be there Friday-Monday.

0 Likes

Here is the information. The vendor is bibliotheca. But if there is a different event you choose, I will try to make it to both.

Partnering with Penguin Random House, bibliotheca is hosting an unforgettable evening at a rooftop venue with views of the Capitol. We invite you to sit back and enjoy drinks, hors d’oeuvres and an engaging talk by New York Times bestselling author of “The Underground Railroad,” Colson Whitehead. Meet Mr. Whitehead in person and receive a copy of his upcoming title “The Nickel Boys.”

Date: Sunday, June 23, 2019
Time: 5:30pm – 8:30pm

0 Likes

Okay everyone, let’s plan to meet on Saturday June 22nd at the Social Responsibilities Round Table event at Busboys and Poets, 450 K. St. Washington, D.C. from 7-10 pm. I’ve been to Busboys and Poets and it’s a pretty large space, so I think it will be a good social for us to crash. I’ll update the email list with this as well.

3 Likes

That’s the same time as the EveryLibrary fundraiser. I already have my ticket to that, so I’ll be able to crash the beginning but might not be able to stay too too long =( =( =(

0 Likes