LFI.4 week 14: anti-doxxing and security culture as collective care

Let’s continue the discussion about security culture and collective care, and ways we see the need for that in our institutions or how we see opportunities to shift our library cultures in this direction.

Something I’ve been thinking about since yesterday is how to establish a collective care/threat model when you live in rural small towns. For a hypothetical example, a rural librarian working in a one-room library in the back of the local hardware store being targeted for collecting anti-racism materials. If doxxing comes either internally or externally there’s a lot of additional things to consider. Like, how would external threats affect your community and how could you extract yourself from internal threats? Ultimately, threat modeling for those in small towns might look very different so I’m curious what others would suggest for those individuals/any thoughts y’all have.

2 Likes

As an exercise, me and some friends tried to doxx each other based on just our twitter profiles. I wasn’t able to doxx anyone who was participating directly, but other people like friends and partners became avenues to ultimately get their identities and even addresses. Made it very clear how everyone is only as strong as their weakest link

1 Like