LFI.4: Week 8, the global power of Big Tech

Questions for this week:

• What is the relationship between privacy and the power of these companies?
  • What interventions are possible to take our power back from Big Tech? Especially for us as librarians, what should we do?

To add onto the questions above, I am going to insert this little video of Franco Bifo Berardi talking about the global impact of Big Tech. I have not come up with any potential answers or experiments to 'what should we do?" but am thinking and will add something soon. This video just adds emphasis to these questions with fervor and passion. The us part that ends at this video is the question that has me wondering, what do the actions or inaction(?) of ‘us’ look like? again like Alison asks “what should we do”? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sAwpAQxbtRs

3 Likes

I love Bifo, and I love this redirection. We made these companies. It’s us! Labor creates all value!

2 Likes

Ars Technica has a great little piece about Bill Gates’ deposition regarding MS and the antitrust suit.

1 Like

These companies have no interest in keeping anything their users do private. They rely on users to generate data that can be used to manipulate users (power). By then selling advertising to their users, they gain money (and more power)
As for interventions - I’d like to see librarians have more conversations about privacy literacy and not just digital literacy. I’ve done programming about smart homes, social media and google tools - I’m not sure I want to continue to offer such programming to patrons.

1 Like

I feel like lots of libraries do those kinds of tech programs for patrons, and it amounts to free advertising for the companies!

Definitely.
This month my library is doing a whole “Grow with Google” series of business-related events this month: https://myemail.constantcontact.com/Grow-with-Google-Online-Workshops.html?soid=1102870834112&aid=ieuI8rqieYU

@samlee The same goes for things like cable-cutting programs. I mean, sure we’re breaking free of the tyranny of cable television, but then we are trading it in for services that closely track our watching habits and keep that data super close to their chests. The fact that there are listicles out there that can count down the “most paused scenes” is just a testament to how our watching habits were recorded. Prior to the streaming revolution, the only way viewing could be tracked was by the Nielsen corp and people had to consent to the tracking technology.

Me too. Not sure I want to continue to offer my classes on social media and google. But I do start every class by asking who pays for access to Facebook or google maps. They all say no, and then I tell them that they actually are paying, with their data.

I also think privacy literacy is a better focus than digital literacy.

1 Like