Police are using DNA to track down a fetus' mother

It was only a matter of time before reproductive criminalization and biometric surveillance connected: https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/10/17340666/dna-testing-georgia-fetus-codis-abortion-genetics-investigation

0 Likes

“My intention is to put the mother and fetus together, and make sure the mother’s okay,” he told The Verge. “I just want to make sure she isn’t getting an infection or bleeding out, and then I would like to connect them back together so she can have her miscarried child or aborted child properly disposed of.”

Y’all, please. This explanation doesn’t even make sense. As the article points out, clinics are responsible for proper disposal, not patients.

1 Like

I can’t imagine that DNA tracking is going to be used for altruistic purposes, and you’re right: that makes no sense.

On the flip side, I’m sitting here gutted and struggling to be productive at works because I just read about the state of the border. I live in a country that is building concentration camps. There are kids who are separated from their parents. How would you ever reunite a baby and a mother when the baby is too young to speak or make long-term memories? Is there a place for DNA tracking to right these wrongs?

0 Likes

I am also outraged and heartbroken about the family separations that continue to happen. And the point you bring up is an understandable one given the longterm crisis that this is creating. But I fear the unintended consequences of using DNA to reunite these families, given how the government has historically used information like this against marginalized people. In my opinion, it’s too risky to take the chance that this information will only be used for good.

0 Likes