Small group progress!

Hi everyone,

Please use this thread to share your small group outlines and other progress with the rest of the cohort. Please also ask questions of the other groups!

Neural-net User Services Modeling Nomenclature Club AKA Group 2 Outline:

Overview:

Rural libraries face unique challenges when it comes to digital privacy. In areas where internet access is limited, many patrons rely on the library for all or nearly all their digital needs. Often these patrons have low levels of digital literacy, little knowledge of the risks of being tracked and surveilled online, and are not familiar with the tools they can use to protect themselves. In addition, populations that are especially vulnerable to abuse through exploitation of their personal data are often more isolated and have less access to resources than in other locations.

We are focusing on specific at risk populations from within our rural communities, but the work we are doing may be relevant to larger locations.

Current Activity:
As a group we will be working on the following:

Leigh Ann will be creating materials to disseminate directly to Native American Women on reservations, since they face a unique threat model that leaves them open to abuse, while having little recourse. They will begin by reaching out to the contacts Alison suggested, and seeing what other work has already been done in this area, and where help is most needed.

Wren will be be trying out a threat modeling/preventative tools course with domestic abuse shelter staff and begin data gathering on what privacy/surveillance problems that clients are running into. He is also pushing his local mayor to implement a local surveillance software ban.

Ellie will be piloting a computer basics peer-learning series that begins in August. Ellie will also be drafting policy around CCTV, limiting its use to specific purposes and excluding future expansion to include hi-res/live-streaming/facial recognition – as her library system has been granted funding for CCTV implementation that they plan to use.

4 Likes

Group ahhhhh 4 Checking In! (And fellow members, please feel free to add as much as you like! [I’m a terrible notetaker!])

Our focus is on SESTA/FOSTA and how we can use that horrific legislation to both educate and protect people. We want to show the ramifications of the damage this has already done and the slippery slope of what may be to come.

We have 6 deliverables at this point:

  1. Zine
  2. Infographic
  3. letter to legislature
  4. Classroom deliverable on backchanneling
  5. Potential interviewing
  6. Explaining Safe Harbor in libraries.

This is a cursory overview of where we are, and we’re always looking for your input so please let us know what you think!

3 Likes

I think we are Group 4, but yes, this is what we have outlined so far! Sorry I didn’t see this sooner.

4 Likes

I updated that and found this amazing resource we can use! I don’t have access to my email at the moment and didn’t want to forget, but Verso, to the rescue again!

2 Likes

We secured 3 (very short) vendor agreements to compare and also have a request out to a library portal that negotiates statewide vendor agreements for Georgia. We hope to have larger vendor agreements to compare soon. If possible I would love to see any other groups sample vendor agreements.

I also reached out to members of my state association to inquire about oppostion to facial recognition. I don’t see any current legislation in Georgia, so I am hoping as a cohort we could come up with a general statement that we could all push state associations to support.

We also have several programs in the works and are exploring non-traditional programs such as gaming, dance parties, Library After Dark events, etc.

2 Likes

Thanks, Oscar! I’ll include our group’s outline here, too.

Little Brother’s (Group 6) Project Outline
Goal: Community Toolkit for Privacy & Surveillance
What will we do?
Awareness campaign that builds trust between library and community
Every tool and program teaches critical thinking around privacy and surveillance
Toolkit will have both passive and active programming including lesson plans for privacy instruction
Strive to connect it to the individual needs of our community members – their every day lives and possibilities
The goal of the Toolkit is for for it to become reflective of the local community needs when implemented, but can also be adapted and scaled to other communities
Who will do it?
Victor: lesson plans/primer for privacy workshops
Oscar & Kim: Vendor agreements and free & open source alternatives
Kim & Maty: Passive programming
All: Survey and Feedback
Victor, Oscar, Maty: Non Library programming (curate gallery, disco parties, incorporate local culture)
All: Conference presentations (will come together at end)

2 Likes

Group 1 Outline: Programming for Privacy Week on a College Campus

Below is a programming plan in recognition of Privacy Week on an academic campus. Our goal is to provide programming in a variety of outputs for a variety of stakeholders. With this variety in mind, the programming components below represent the needs of administrators, librarians, instructors, students, and campus information technology professionals. Each group member will present an option to reach one of these groups.

The components created by each group member will also be presented in a variety of formats, like in-person classes versus text-based materials. In an effort to promote our Privacy Week programs, each group member will also offer an idea to add to a display.

Audience - Students: Privacy class + learning module (Junior)
Audience - Students: A guidebook for navigating online harassment & doxxing as a college student (Symphony)
Audience - Instructors: A tutorial/workshop/training to help instructors incorporate privacy into their instruction and evaluate systems/tools they expect students to use (Michele)
Audience - Admin/IT Staff: A tutorial/workshop/training on the current state of privacy trends (Jonathon)
Audience - Librarians: Vendor agreement/privacy policy (Qiana)
Audience - Campus Groups (eg - affinity groups, feminist club): Threat modeling training (Nicole)
Audience - Library Patrons, generally - Display promoting items above. (all)

Can’t wait to see these materials!! This sounds awesome.

We in Group 3 are focusing on training the trainer – curriculum and outlines for library managers and directors to use to train staff. Rough outline and our survey for library staff below. Forgive our stream of consciousness flow!

I.Themed trainings
A. Privacy Pirates
Probably for kids/ schools?
Pirate themed; how to avoid privacy pirates
B. Private Eyes (?)
2-parter: start with a training on online searching skills ie “learn to be a private eye”; when people are thoroughly freaked out by how much is available online, offer a 2nd course on privacy-- “keep your skeletons buried”
Good for mystery fans!!! -> probably tailored towards adults but would also work for teens.
II.Staff trainings
. Privacy Basics: how basic do we want to make basic?
A. Intermediate Privacy Info
B. Advanced: how advanced? Can we get that done by the end of the course?
III.For the public
. Privacy basics

  1. Social media -> settings, apps, posts, everything
  2. Data collection
  3. What to do in case of a data breach???
  4. Open source options?

How to get library admin on board with privacy & security topics
A. Get them the information, ie. explain why it’s important and how it pertains to the basic library values
B. Offer them the trainings-> they won’t be starting at ground zero and feeling overwhelmed
C. Tie it in with the value to patrons -> don’t have concrete examples yet, but can borrow from other librarians and add/replace when we’ve used our trainings (?)
D.

Survey Questions:

  1. Does your library have a privacy and security policy regarding your library network and/or employee usage of library equipment?
    a. Yes
    b. I don’t know
    c. No
  2. Does your library currently provide programming/training on privacy and security issues?
    . If yes, please skip to questions 7 & 8.
    a. If no, please continue.
  3. How confident do you feel to lead a training on privacy and security?
    . Very confident
    a. Somewhat confident
    b. Neutral
    c. Not confident
    d. Please don’t make me do it! I have no idea what I’m talking about!
  4. Does your library administration feel that privacy and security issues are important?
    . Yes
    a. I don’t know
    b. No
    c. Other
  5. What do you see as the biggest obstacle to your library offering security and privacy programming?
    . No one on staff is trained/knowledgeable on this topic
    a. Lack of resources (staff/time/computers, etc)
    b. Lack of interest from patrons
    c. This need is already being met elsewhere in the community
    d. Lack of interest from library administration
    e. Other (with text box)
  6. Would having pre-made trainings/workshops available from the Library Freedom Institute increase your libraries’ interest in holding privacy and security trainings?
    . Yes
    a. Maybe
    b. No
    c. Other (with text box)
  7. For those who are currently offering security and privacy programming, what has been the response from your community?
    . Very Positive
    a. Positive
    b. Neutral
    c. Negative
    d. Very Negative
    e. Comment box for elaboration?
  8. What types/ranges of privacy and security programming has your library offered?
    . Comment box
    Hello, I’m ____________. I’m participating in the current Library Freedom Institute cohort. The Library Freedom Institute is an IMLS-funded program focused on teaching librarians about privacy and security issues as they relate to the library world. With that in mind, our group of library directors and assistant directors has decided to create privacy and security trainings for public use. We’ve created a quick 8 question survey to gather some data to help guide us. We would appreciate your input.

7/21/2019 meeting

Main idea: we are going to create training for library staff.

Bel - We should keep focusing on librarians and staff training. Use the survey to compile information and use it to create a list of topics that are important to library directors.

Bel will work on creating Crypto emergency toolkit - Tips and tricks for people who don’t have IT staff and what they can do in case of an emergency, and what to do to prepare for an emergency.

Grace can send out the innovative toolkit that’s being created for the census.
What would be the 3 things that you must know about if you are a librarian who is new to privacy issues? How do you help them understand how data is being collected? And the implications of surveillance tech? Data collecting, cyber security.

Carolyn will put together an outline for a lesson plan that we can use for training. It will be flexible enough so that it can be used for whatever topic the library staff needs to focus on during that particular training.

Pat is going to create handouts and flyers to support the materials for basic staff training.

We will ask Megan to bring something to NYC to share with us, and to make certain that the survey she’s created is useful to the group’s needs now that we have a better idea of what we’re all working on.

Action item: We have all agreed to bring copies of our work in progress to the meeting in NYC so that we can share

1 Like

I love seeing all this group work starting to come together! If you haven’t yet, please keep your group wiki page up to date (those pages are here https://libraryfreedom.wiki/html/public_html/index.php/LFI_Course_Materials#Cohort_group_pages)

I love that both groups 2 and 4 are focusing in particular on unique threat models. I think that’s both super important for its own sake, and also I think you’ll find that the experiences and needs of those groups will be more widely applicable than you think.

In general I’m excited to see a mix of traditional programming, library policy, and education. These projects are gonna be awesome.

Anyone creating materials to disseminate: remember that we have funding for graphic design and illustration. Let’s make those materials eye-catching and beautiful.

Also, remember that in NYC we’ll have a bunch of time to do small group work, so please make sure to bring whatever you are working on with you. I’ll be checking in with each of the small groups that day to see where I can help.

Group 5 Project

Assignments

  1. Privacy Training/Info for the Public(classes, events, flyers, displays)-Julia & Jeff

  2. Privacy Training/Info for Staff- Haley & Julia

  3. Privacy Policies- Jessica & Tracy

Outlines:

  1. Privacy Training/Info for the Public - JW

    Young Adult
    Fun activity tied in to current culture/interests (ex.: Minecraft, makeup, social media, etc.)
    Social media campaign
    Adult
    Develop narrowed down list of resources so as not to overwhelm attendees
    All Ages
    Create a password (diceware)
    Passive Program?

  2. Privacy Training/Info for Staff - JW

    Series of short trainings that can be rolled into bigger meetings (ex: adult services meeting)
    Quick tips or examples of patron interactions
    One large training for more in-depth work
    Provide take home materials for staff
    Example of program(s)

  3. Privacy Policy - JK&TT

    Online privacy policy project:
    Plan to create an updated online privacy policy for a large urban public library system based on LAPL’s current boilerplate policy and other examples.
    Special attention given to addressing third party vendors
    Privacy FAQ for customers
    We’re looking at examples of good privacy policies (like San Jose!) for inspiration for how to make things easy to understand while being thorough.

I’m also thinking about working on another element, possibly something outside of the library, but I have yet to have that moment of inspiration.

1 Like