Software for the Classroom (Ideas)

Hi y’all - I wanted to create a forum where we could ask for recommendations and offer suggestions for tools that make teaching a class easier.

0 Likes

And I’m going to ask for the first suggestion. Do you have any suggestions for the easiest way to share links with your library class? (These are folks with low digital literacy, and sometimes bad typing skills, so even a fairly easy URL can derail people sometimes.) We teach in a room that has public library computers, so changing the “image” and installing anything that lasts beyond the session requires divine intercession.

0 Likes

If I’m understanding the question, you could create an etherpad with an relatively tame custom url, like https://public.etherpad-mozilla.org/p/libraryclass, and then put links in there. And though privacy vegans will grimace, you could use a url shortening service to make that url even easier like “library.class” or some such. Alternatively, you could have the etherpad up in a window before class began, then add links in real time.

1 Like

The resources at sec.eff.org are all meant to make teaching classes easier. I’d browse through some of them and see what looks good to you.

Also, @librarianbryan’s idea is good. You can also create a github repo under your own account that’s like github.com/MyUsername/PrivacyClasses/Basics or something. Either one is free and fairly easy.

0 Likes

Yea! Those lesson plans at sec.eff.org are awesome. They’ve been helpful as I plan some classes for our members.

1 Like

archived #6
0 Likes