surveillance of workers

1 Like

From the Assemblage we are on our way to either be cyborgs or pets:

States cracking down on employee microchipping

As for me, I have to provide a weekly log of what I am doing and also document it in my reference statistics, then my supervisor grills me on my stats…to what end? She gets to dictate how I write my stats and what I report.

I think she’d probably want microchipping and some sort of tracking device to prove my location if she could. Although there is a field for Social Media in our stats, which I have used, she’s complained about my reporting. It is for this reason that I do not tweet or update facebook as much as I once did.

2 Likes

From that article…

In some cases, it’s tech-savvy workers who bring the chips to their bosses’ attention, said Amal Graafstra, CEO of Dangerous Things, a Seattle, Wash.-based implantable chip manufacturer and distributor, and VivoKey Technologies, a chip manufacturer

This sounds like PR bullshit to me! not only will you be surveilled for life, have your bodily autonomy violated by your employer, but…YOU ACTUALLY WANT THIS. If you don’t want this, you’re just not TECH-SAVVY. Ugh I hate it!!!

Graafstra thinks the implanted chips could potentially eliminate all sorts of lost productivity from lost key badges

Love to see the tech industry solve a made-up problem!!

he says many of the current orders could be motivated by something else. “I would say it’s probably out of the cool factor,” he said.

Just incredible…now this guy gets to say that it’s “cool” to get microchipped. No one thinks that it’s cool but you buddy!!!

Ugh, I can think of many supervisors I’ve had through the years who would jump at the chance to conduct this kind of surveillance too. In week five, we’ll talk in depth about workplace (and school) surveillance that’s been ramping up during covid with our guest lecturers Jasmine McNealy and Kelly McElroy.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s cool to be despicable (in other words). An employer putting anything into an employee 's body just blows my mind that no one in the article with its very positive spin would question the ethical implications around surveillance on this level.

Haven’t they watched “cool” movies where the employee’s [insert body part] was chopped off in order to gain entry to wherever workplace?

And speaking of non-problem solving. Sigh.

Elon Musk plans to link your brain to your smartphone

blurs the line between human and machine: flexible “threads” that can be implanted into a brain and could one day allow you to control your smartphone or computer with just your thoughts.

2 Likes

It’s a good thing Elon Musk doesn’t really know the AM/FM difference. There’s Actual Machines, which are clunky and flawed and built out of existing scientific, technical, and engineering capabilities. And then there’s Fucking Magic, the fantasy make-believe world that bad scifi and Elon Musk live in.

3 Likes

I guess everyone deserves a little magic in their lives. It takes out of this world thinking and when there is an overabundance of money involved you can tell the king that his non-existent clothing is so wonderful and amazing.

1 Like

lollllllllll