The rate of exploitation: the case of the iPhone

phenomenal report/infographic on the labor conditions that create the iPhone (spoiler: it’s real bad!): https://www.thetricontinental.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/190922_Notebook-2_EN.pdf

I think this is important for us to think about for the relationships between data privacy, technology, labor, and resource extraction. I also think this infographic is excellent and something we can emulate in our projects (at a smaller scale).

Okay now that I’ve read the whole thing my expanded take is that this should be way, way shorter. Like 10 pages, with more images and easy stats. I am not sure who the audience for something this long and erudite is, but it seems like it’s the “already initiated” and that’s not very useful!!! The content of this thing is very good but also pretty prolix and hard to engage with. We can make our propaganda better!!!

Could this be considered an academic paper with illustrations? I wonder if the creator actually finished their research before deadline and took the extra time to reformat the paper into infographic form.

It’s jarring to realize that I’m receiving this information because I’m on a piece of technology that is being criticized by this information.

It does feel like an academic paper yeah.

Reminds me of this Matt Bors comic: https://thenib.com/mister-gotcha

Yeah, we live in a society! In order to fix these problems, we would need to fundamentally change our economic system. It’s still worth criticizing even when we’re swimming in it. And also let’s avoid buying new technology until our current phones fall apart.

1 Like

I love that comic! “We should improve society somewhat” is a rallying cry that appeals to my level of activism vs. just living my life.

1 Like

YES. I think one of the worst things tech companies do is convince people to upgrade their phones when they are perfectly good – sometimes by the nefarious methods of making existing phones no longer compatible.

I appreciated the article’s list and map of the raw materials needed for production. I’ve heard people extol the virtues of our electronic world because it helps to save paper. Yes … but it hurts my heart to think about all those resources being mined and used for devices that are almost considered throw-aways now.