Week 26 - Final assignments

Tor relay stuff for my declared final project can be found here. Since my final project is actually kind of minimal as far as presentation, I also wanted to share what was inside the Lisa Frank binder which is a lot more tangible and heavily influenced by LFI curriculum…

https://librarianbryan.github.io/plmi-privacy-training_

Navigate by hitting spacebar. To see speaker notes, type s, or if you Git, Git it. The notes are just a gloss of what I actually said. I just roll with it.

This was for library directors in TN that did not go to library school. There are quite a few of those in rural TN. The binders also included the entire chapter of what to do if law enforcement shows up from ALA Intellectual Freedom Manual, printouts of ALA Privacy checklists, and printout of Becky Yoose’s patron data anonymization methods that she published in Journal of Intellectual Freedom and Privacy.

I had 90min and I tried to breakup my blathering with activities. We started with a spectrum exercise where they walked to different sides of the room depending on how they would react to different scenarios. I left the language of these scenarios ambiguous to leave room for interpretation and then I asked for folks to talk about why they stood where they did. For the threat models section, I broke them into groups and gave them sample patrons and ask them to develop threat models for them. Then we discussed what they came up with. Last, diceware!

0 Likes

Cool, Brian! I like that your first part relates the work to all the values we supposedly stand for. I think starting off with that might head off a lot of the “what ifs” that I worry about coming up. I’m making a note to myself to do this in the beginning of my pitches with other work people.

1 Like

This is so awesome! I agree with Megan–this is a great intro to the presentation. Definitely working that into my work, too!

1 Like

I should note I included a number of sample privacy policies including the one @clobdell wrote because it was good.

1 Like

@librarianbryan Bryan this rules!!! The breadth of info you’re covering in 90 minutes is amazing, and that audience is perfect. Did you specifically advertise to directors w/o library science degrees? What resonated with them most? I love beginning with a spectrum exercise, and it’s especially great with an audience like this where you don’t actually know where they’re going to fall (it gets a little harder with people who went to library school who have already been somewhat initiated into The Gospel of Privacy).

Looking at your Tor relay stuff now…

Okay my overall feeling is that I love this path that you took. You really put in the work normalizing Tor, educating people, and getting feedback. More thoughts below:

On the previous episode of get your library to host a Tor relay

lol

I wrote “Tor nodes” but Alison corrected me

Did I correct you? I didn’t mean to. Nodes is also an acceptable term.

anyone wanted Tor camera stickers for their gizmos.

PROPAGANDA WORKS! But no really, cute and friendly stickers do a surprising amount of work getting people onboard with Tor. Do you need more? I can send you more.

With as soft a touch as possible, I explained I just wanted a non-malicious website unblocked, and not to install anything on work or public PCs.

Really smart to do it this way. If you chip away little by little then people tend not to get anxious about it, and you can address little pieces of the underlying assumptions that have led them to this kind of blocking behavior.

My supervisor pointed out that that was kind of absurd to “block proxies” considering we use EZproxy for majority of our resources. I went ahead and installed Tor Browser on my work laptop.

hell yeah!

Metro IT Liaison said Administrator X previously approached them about a relay after the publicity in Kilton. At the time, Metro IT Liaison shot down the idea saying it would eliminate our E-Rate funding. I explained to Administrator X this interpretation was due to confusion between the Tor relays and Tor Browser.

It also seems like a misunderstanding of the requirements of E-rate funding. You are required to put filters on, but you are supposed to let adult users use the computers without the filters, so, yeah.

You can see my relay here.

It appears to be currently offline. Is that intentional?

and then hibernate the relay until the next month. I didn’t break anything, but I’ll have to wait until next month to see if the limits work.

Ah I see, it IS intentional. :slight_smile:

The Tor documentation was clear if a little scattershot.

I would love to hear more feedback about this if you want to give it to me. I helped write those docs/create that resource, and I want to make sure it’s good.

One thing I am curious about is the guard and middle probability. I need to research that more.

Did you read this blog post? You might find the answers you are looking for there.

That’s where we are…

This is all very exciting! As far as next steps go, if there is interest and if it would help, I might be able to assist with getting some Tor people to come to Nashville and do some talks or trainings to help bolster support for the relay. Let me know what you think.

0 Likes

That’s exciting Bryan. Once you get the Tor relay up and running for a while, I hope you share some insights (maybe write an article). I find in our library that before we tackle any project we want to see that another library did it first, was successful, and there’s some positive library buzz.

0 Likes

I’ll be sharin’ this on the Zoom tomorrow! I spent my time thinking about what I have, how my circumstances have changed, what I can do right now, and what I want to do moving forward. Deetz manana.

1 Like

Hi all! I also really love the outline and set-up of @librarianbryan’s presentation. I’m doing a shorter training for the library directors in our consortium in a few months, and I’m definitely going to borrow from the values section at the beginning of that presentation.

Here’s my final project which is a lesson plan for a workshop for college students.

1 Like

this looks great, can’t wait to hear more about it today!

0 Likes

This looks really comprehensive and awesome Claire. I think it’s great to have a fully reflective/non-technical session like this just to give people the space to think deeply on a topic that they probably haven’t. I love the interactivity, the flow of each activity into the next, and the time for reflection at the end. And the fact that you made space for the Diceware activity, because I think after all that reflection, it will give people a sense of doing something to address the problems they just identified.

Really I don’t have anything to say but praise! This rules. I hope when you teach it, you can have another colleague come and take notes or something (or maybe use post-its and have the students transcribe their thoughts) because I’d love to see what emerges from this.

0 Likes

Here is my very brief PPT and notes. Suggestions/feedback are welcome!

0 Likes

Here’s my presentation!

0 Likes

Hey y’all, guess who’s late with an assignment? =) Here’s my presentation from last week.

0 Likes

I basically submitted my week 14 assignment for this since my final project hasn’t happened yet. Hope that’s cool. It’s here.

1 Like

archived #15
0 Likes

unlisted #16
0 Likes