Week 3 - Teaching Privacy assignment

I’m sorry if I missed a thread for this that was already made :slight_smile:

I created my assignment thinking about it as a series of library workshops for community college students. In the first session, I imagined we would spend more time thinking about our digitial lives individually (writing things down as a “getting started” in the room activity), followed by a discussion what everyone felt comfortable sharing (or I would be vulnerable myself and open up about my life examples). This would enable me to get an understanding about what was most important to this group of students (for example, are they worried what potential employers might see on their social media channels? are their families navigating issues related to being undocumented?), so I could best plan a follow-up session teaching about ways to make the information they’re worried about more secure. I think I would also end this session with some basic essentials that everyone could try in the room (like creating a strong password, so they would know how to do one on their home computer).

These are the slides I made to get the 1st session started. Cheers!

1 Like

Here is the link to my assignment. I created a worksheet that I’m sharing with staff.

1 Like

@mtkinney this is a really engaging (positive + personal) way to do threat modeling!

1 Like

Here’s the link to my week 3 assignment, which I ended up doing it as a lesson plan about strong passwords and diceware, rather than a handout. I will create a handout to go along with this, but it made more sense to me to write out the plan first.

[Also, credit for the lesson plan design goes to Dani Brecher Cook, who co-taught an online class on user instruction that I took through ALA a few years ago.]

1 Like

My assignment is here. I don’t love what I came up with format-wise. I don’t like PowerPoint but wasn’t sure how else to present things, and also our computer/tech classes tend to use it so it’s familiar to people who have attended those. I struggled with what level to target but tried to make it as baseline as possible, explaining/giving examples along the way (for instance, a picture of a word list). I didn’t want to scare people off with anything overly technical sounding - we see a lot of patrons who are pretty intimidated by anything tech-related. A class like this might draw people with more baseline knowledge, but I’d rather go this way than have attendees think that computer security is too complicated for them.

1 Like

I think if you taught this exactly as is, you’d be surprised at how many different levels of technical ability it would end up being relevant for.

Here’s mine! https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute/blob/master/assignments/week3/Week%203%20-%20S.White%20-%20Assignment.docx

Late, but here it is! A flyer on creating a diceware password. There was a lot more I wanted to put on here like why a passphrase is important and uses for a passphrase, but I wanted to keep it to one page without being too wordy.
https://github.com/alisonLFP/libraryfreedominstitute/blob/master/assignments/week3/Mellon%20-%20diceware%20flyer.pdf

2 Likes

looks great Ally! simple to follow, would make a great class handout or a sign by the computer area (see a librarian for dice!)

Still catching up on all my assignments. Since it is International Zine Month, I made a mini-zine – you can print it out and cut and fold. Definitely benefitted from seeing how everyone else synthesized/summarized!

3 Likes

I’m finally able to catch up with our assignments. Here is my week 3 one. Off to finish Week 4!

1 Like

Wow! That’s so awesome, Kelly. Is it okay if I share this with people? I’m wondering if the library we have an office in would be willing to put some out.

oh my gosh @kellymce this is sooooooooo cuuuuuuuuuute!!! @josh if you put the zine out please please take pics!!!

@josh please do!! I put a CC-BY-NC license on it, so share freely. :smiley:

1 Like

@kellymce, awesome. I’ve been out of the office most of this week dealing with family stuff. I’ll print one out next week and talk to the library supervisor about it.

1 Like

Finally completed assignment 3 here.

Thanks @langur. I’m interested to hear more about the parts your fellow staffmembers found particularly challenging so that we can think about how to make it easier next time. I wonder if breaking it down into three separate discussions might be helpful? One for passwords, one for malware/phishing, and one for HTTPS? I know that ends up being a lot of talking, but it could be that they were struggling because they felt overwhelmed. I’ve had that experience often, especially with people who consider themselves nontechnical or who haven’t really spent any time thinking about privacy/security.

Just following up here to say that this (and the other zine I made) have been fruitful both with coworkers and other folks. Anecdotally: a few people have taken copies to share with friends/family, and I even had someone ask me about collaborating on one about end to end encryption (I was like, um yes, but we haven’t gotten there yet in the curriculum :joy:). Anyway, just wanted to report out on this, in part because this has been a fun, non-threatening conversation starter with folks…but also because zines are totally a way for me to test my own understanding of something I have learned. (Which is one of my favorite ways to use zines in the classroom – to get students to explain something.) Anyway, I’m trying to hold onto this beginner’s mind, because I keep noticing that people really respond when I point out that I’m a n00b, as an invitation to be curious with me.

1 Like

that’s awesome, thanks for sharing Kelly! I will make sure we get to end to end encryption soon. :slight_smile:

1 Like